Friday, September 01, 2006

Two Bob's For The Price Of One





When I first saw Bob Wilkins on KTXL Channel 40 in 1973, I never knew he also had a second show in the Bay Area. My parents got cable tv for the first time in 1974. At that time I was 12 years old. When I was young, I was obsessed with TV Guide and would read the tv listings all the time, and I knew about other channels, we could not pick up, would offer Horror movies also especially KTVU Channel 2 , which was showing the Universal Classics. In the Sacramento area, the Universal Classics were last seen back in 1970 om KTXL, but they hadn't shown them since and I was starved for those Classics, and when we first got Cable TV, it was a dream come true. Little did I know that Bob was showing the classics on KTVU at the same time he was showing other Horror Movies on KTXL. When I was young, I assumed that Bob did those shows at KTXL Live, but was I wrong, when I tuned in KTVU's "Creature Features" and Bob was hosting there. I didn't know if they were twins or clones, but I later knew that both shows were taped. The KTVU shows were on either 9:PM or 9:30PM, while KTXL was on at 10:PM.So I watched the show which had the best movies at the time. Bob seemed to have more fun on KTVU than on KTXL. The KTVU "Creature Features " set was dressed up like a Haunted House while KTXL just had paintings of the "Frankenstein Monster", "Dracula" and "The Wolfman" in the background. Also while KTVU had Bob Wilkins segments between commercials in addition to the beginnings and endings, KTXL only had his segment before and after the movies.

No comments: