Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Happy 50TH Anniversary FAMOUS MONSTERS!!!


It was 50 years ago on this day (February 27, 1958), that FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND was born to publisher, Jim Warren and Editor In Chief, Forrest J. Ackerman. I first became acquainted with FM in 1968 with Issue #54 (The Alien From INVASION OF THE SAUCERMAN on the cover) when I was 6 years old. While I didn't get every issue when growing up, I got most of them until the 1970's until the Star Wars Issues kind of burned me out and I graduated to FANGORIA. I did every once in awhile during the 1970's checked out other monster magazines like CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE MONSTER TIMES (a cool monster newspaper) and HAMMER'S HOUSE OF HORRORS as well as those CRACKED MONSTER MAGAZINES.(Parodies like MAD MAGAZINE) Though the original FM died in 1983 and a new one was revived by Ray Ferry, it just wasn't the same. In fact he is folding it up this year after 50 issues as well as lawsuits back and forth against 4E. I actually prefered Dennis J. Druktenis's SCARY MONSTERS MAGAZINE anyway. On December 31, 1995, I finally met FJA for the first time at his legendary ACKERMUSEUM. I will never forget that day. If you want to order a replica of FM#1, Ray Ferry is selling it at http://www.filmlandclassics.com/zencart/

No comments: